MAC in the community
The Multnomah Athletic Club’s mission is to enrich lives, foster friendships and build upon our traditions of excellence in athletic, social and educational programs.
A summary of MAC community involvement
Multnomah Athletic Club (MAC), founded in 1891, is a private nonprofit athletic and social club that is located in downtown Portland and has a long history of athletic excellence. With more than a century of tradition in athletic, social and educational programs, MAC has a strong connection to the community and gives back through a variety of outreach activities, event sponsorships, grants and sports scholarships. MAC members and management staff uphold MAC’s stature as a good community citizen through the following community involvement activities.
Community Outreach, Sponsorships and Charitable Activities
- MAC executive management participates as members of Oregon Sports Authority, Oregon Sports Hall of Fame and Portland Business Alliance.
- MAC committees, comprised of member volunteers, support community activities such as blood drives, swim lessons and concerts.
- MAC supports a variety of community organizations such as Self Enhancement, Inc., Portland State University and PIL high school sports. MAC also sponsors events, such as the Portland Trail Blazers Street Jam, Portland Rose Festival Princess lunch, State Games of Oregon, Oregon Sports Authority Sportlandia Auction, and Oregon Disability Games.
- MAC culinary staff gives back through the American Culinary Federation, Chef’s Collaborative, monthly meal donations for Janus Youth Services (Salvation Army Greenhouse), and the annual Thanksgiving dinner for residents at Rosenbaum Plaza.
- MAC supports community athletes by hosting local, regional and national athletic events at its facilities, including basketball, tennis, racquetball, handball, squash, gymnastics, swimming, karate and synchronized swimming.
Multnomah Athletic Foundation Shares the Spirit of MAC with the Community
The Multnomah Athletic Foundation (MAF) is funded by contributions from MAC membership, planned giving and memorial gifts in honor of past MAC members, and the Northwest Basketball Shootout. MAF is also a beneficiary of the Oregon Bowl high school all-star football game.
Grants and scholarships are awarded annually to fund and assist new or existing athletic programs and events in the community; the development of individual athletes; and educational support for athletes through scholarship aid.
- MAF has an asset base of more than $1 million and has awarded more than $400,000 in grants and contributions.
- Through the Scholar Athlete program, 26 $1,500 scholarships are given annually to area high school sophomores.
- Proceeds from the Northwest Shootout, a regional basketball event featuring Oregon high school boys and girls versus Washington high school boys and girls, benefit MAF.
- Grants are awarded to community organizations. Past grant recipients include the Grant High School MacMillan-Jones Scholarship, The Children’s Course for summer golf programs for low-income students, Police Activities League’s annual tennis camp, and Special Olympics of Oregon for team basketball.
- Seven separate funds facilitated by MAF include the Fay Sasser Scholarship Fund, Joe Loprinzi Scholarship Fund, Lorraine Miller Trustee Endowment Fund, Mel Fox Memorial Scholarship Fund, James F. and Marion Miller Scholar Athlete Fund, The Foundation Board Endowment Fund, and Earl and Barbara Repp Memorial Fund.
MAC – By The Numbers
17,000 - Number of resident members of MAC
500 - Number of employees who work at MAC
1891 - Year MAC was founded in Portland
26 - Number of Scholar Athlete scholarships given annually to selected high school sophomores
3 - Rank of MAC by Platinum Clubs of America in a survey of the 200 most highly regarded clubs in the United States based on quality of membership, tradition and culture, amenities, governance and quality of management and staff
1984 - Year MAC was inducted into the Oregon Sports Hall of Fame in the Special Contribution to Sports category
40 - Number of MAC athletes and member/coaches who have participated in the Olympic Games
28 - Number of Olympic medals earned by MAC athletes and coaches
Comments or questions about this page? Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Updated: 4/30/2013, 5:15 PM (Michole Jensen)